και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Saturday, April 01, 2006

asinus et sciurus

Lacking the kind of golden wit that others, such as Meg or those kooky ridiculously wealthy nerds at Google, I thought I'd point you to some found items that in themselves seemed so ridiculous as to be worthy of a genuine prankster.

The first is this news item about a married man suing to be allowed to use e-harmony is true, as far as I can tell, although I think it is odd that my Google search for it also turned up an article entitled, "Police find 14 bodies shot in head in Baghdad". I included the link to this article from Middle East Times, because I thought that this kind of story must give Muslims a delightful picture of their Western friends. However, in all seriousness, I think it is wonderful that the Middle East Times has a whole section related to the achievements of Muslim women. Yet, the picture in this article about Laleh Seddigh made me think that Laleh is really Angelina Jolie on an undercover mission for the UNHCHR. I think that would make a great movie. Maybe Brad could star as her understanding and patient Iranian husband. If we could get Mel to direct, they could do the whole thing in Farsi, piss off the world's Jews, and get a well-publicized oscar snub.

Finally, if you want some good old fashioned kookiness with your cold war nostalgia, check out http://english.pravda.ru/. An exposé on zombies leads into a subtle criticism of American culture. Top this off with an article discussing the patriotic disgust Russian men displayed while watching Brokeback Mountain, and you will only have begun to enjoy the crazy post-cold-war hijinks.

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home