και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Saturday, March 25, 2006

I believe

I believe that I mentioned earlier that this is the city motto of Baltimore. I was so excited to see all the lists of mottoes on Wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_motto,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_U.S._state_mottos, and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Military_Unit_Mottoes_by_Country

I'll put those to good use in the classroom. Maybe I'll make some more stickers later.

I also added some more pictures to Bebo. Maybe I can't show them to you here, but I don't think my Lenten prohibition applies to Bebo. Especially because I'm taking Saturdays as my Lenten feast days.

http://mattlind.bebo.com

I ran for life today. Fortunately, life only demanded a 5k. I held back a little, but my wife kicked my @$$. At least I came out ahead of her co-workers.

It's so fascinating to run a race. It seems like such a microcosm of life. For instance, the key to running a race is not to peak too early. You want to start out nice and slow, and for the first few minutes, let people pass you by. Then you want to progressively improve your pace until, at the very end of the race, you kick it into high gear and give it the rest that you've got. However today, I was too afraid of peaking early and I didn't push myself as hard as I could throughout the race. Therefore, although I was giving the last quarter-mile everything I had, I still had gas in the tank when I crossed the finish line.

Of course, what really makes it a microcosm of life is being surrounded by several hundred people trying to accomplish the same goal. Most folks run too hard, either to impress their friends or to impress themselves. Then, at some point in the run, you see them take an awkward step or two and then slow to a walk, just as if they had actually run out of gas.

To pace myself, I picked two people from the crowd wearing distinctive shirts that I could easily see to follow and who seemed to be running at about my speed early on. When I passed these guys on the tail end of the race, I felt palpably happy to see them give way. However, I didn't know these guys from Adam. Why would I care if these complete strangers "lost" to me. I surely didn't have that same reaction to all the moms walking the course with their dogs and strollers.

So, I added Google Ads to this website. If its annoying I'll take it down. I just want to be like Nevsky. We're going to need all the money we can to get him off on those public urination charges.

Of course, we could always get C-bass's old roommate to get him off. I saw in the Calvin Spark that he recently became a lawyer. I remember that he used to unnecessarily antagonize his peers in college. However, when I saw his picture, it looked like some part of him died during law school. Maybe I'm reading into it too much. I hope he enjoys (un?)necessarily antagonizing others as a lawyer. I'll admit that my reaction to that picture was very similar to my reaction to passing up those random people during the race today.

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home