και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Thursday, May 26, 2005

Hi, I'm a rich liberal and I believe in the future

Kim the Developer

This guy is the H. Ross Perot of Charlottesville liberals. He's running for one of the few seats in the Virginia House of Delegates that's left of Trotsky, and he's making his best effort. He even left a nifty brochure in my door (although, that may have been one of his campaign workers). He's one of the few candidates in the god-blessed United States to describe himself as "to the left" of his opponents.
He made his fortune, as it were, building "affordable" houses for people in Richmond, and disposable McMansions for people here in Charlottesville. However, his political acumen is only tempered by his incredible naïveté. Here's a quote from an article from the C-ville:

"Q: How will you deal with the right-wing in the General Assembly?

A: Let me give you a specific example. I’ve worked with some homeless groups, and some of the people who are chronically homeless are convicted felons. I discovered there are a whole array of laws that are used to keep punishing people when they get out of prison. I think that’s wrong. If I’m talking to a progressive person about the issue, I talk to them about compassion. If I talk to someone who’s got a conservative bias, I talk about it as an anti-crime measure. It’s all about how you present the issue."

Or, on NBC 29 News today, and this is a paraphrased misquote, "I don't want to talk in specifics about education, because there are so many important issues. I think they all deserve some attention. For instance, my issue is affordable housing."

I love Virginia, I get to vote for men named "Kim," and one of the Democratic candidates for Lieutenant Governor is named "Viola Baskerville," whom, previously, I thought to be a character from a Sherlock Holmes novel. She left her brochure in my mailbox today, or maybe the USPS did, I don't know. Well, she isn't running against the former mayor of Charlottesville, so I guess I'll probably vote for her. Especially because no other candidate has bothered to send me a flier yet. However, I guess it's only a primary, so it really doesn't matter what I think.

Anyways, in terms of free media attention this Tingley guy seems to really know what he's doing.

1 helpful remarks:

Blogger Judith shared...

I'm still in political over-shock from the presidential election. Where is the next larger than life Kennedy or Roosevelt (either one) figure approaching from the horizon?

7:49 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home