και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Friday, May 20, 2005

de vita nova

So, I brought Roger and Tullia to school today. Gina was finally ready to do an abbreviated unit on reptiles. I buy my turtles' worms in a gas station in Belmont, the old-white-trashy-cum-trendy-alternahip neighborhood. The gas station, thankfully is more of the former than the latter. This morning the attendant and I had the best small talk about worms. Nobody is better at small talk than gas station attendants in socio-economically disadvantaged areas. He guessed, correctly, that I would be feeding my pets. That lead into a great discussion about using live specimens in the classroom. He brightened up my day.
Anyways, during the day Roger was hopeless, as always, hiding in his shell almost all day long. Tullia, however, was the star of the show. It was probably the greatest day of her life. She ate a whole worm in all 5 classes--that little pig. She was craning her neck to take in every new sight she could.
The most wonderful thing was Gina, though. It was her son that ratted out the would-be Klebold and Harris the other day. He is going to have to testify at their trial. Needless to say, the emotionally labile Gina was somewhat down yesterday. However, today, on her way out of her driveway, she almost ran over another box turtle. She brought this little guy in, and I got to take her/him (I haven't been able to definitively sex the little guy yet) home at the end of the day.
Anyways, by the end of the day, Gina was raving about how wonderful the turtles had been. The kids were thrilled--they had turtle races (of which I'm sure Roger was not a part) and loved seeing the little guys. She was positively exuberant.
I am thrilled, because I was trying to think how I would get my longed-for third turtle, without plucking him/her from the wild. I believe that a turtle who was saved from being ran over by a car is fair game to be collected. So, now I have my third. Anyways, Gina hadn't determined the name yet, which she kindly left to me. She said that one student had suggested naming the turtle after himself, but I don't think I'm going to follow through on that. However, the other two suggested names were Rescue and Speedy.
I have to say that Rescue seems extremely appealling to me as the concept of mercy/salvation has been reappearing as a theme in my life lately. So, I guess I'm going to open this one up to my fellow netizens (a neologism which I use only semi-enthusiastically). What do you think I should name my new turtle. Extra points will be given to any name that references grace, mercy, or salvation and is vaguely unisex (or can easily be modified for the other gender). Of course, like the Donald, I reserve the final right to choose the name, but I'd like to use the power of modern communication technology to make this decision. So leave a comment if you care or drop me an e-mail.
Peace.

P.S. I'm not going to tell Janna about the third turtle and see how long it takes her to either read this entry or notice that there is a third turtle in the pen.

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home