και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Wednesday, April 13, 2005

Disconnect

Have you ever had that feeling that every object in the universe is just a few centimeters away from your fingers, but if you lean forward, Tantalus-like, to touch them, they will scurry away from your fingertips. Well, this is my second day in the magic sleep deprivation experiment. Once again, mea culpa est, I spent all weekend in my yard, planting, and admiring my turtles, so when it comes to crunchtime, I've got to suck it up. I also dithered away my evening last night with Jessica and Janna, drinking our sorrows away at the not-so-local Mexican restaurant, and then watching NBC sitcoms, while I half-assedly (can I make that word up?) graded quizzes (involving a frantic drive to school for a lost gradebook--actually a clipboard--that was sitting on my desk). I then slept for about 3 hours, wrote the other test for today, slept for another hour, and showed up to school with barely enough time to be ready for class.
Anyways, I haven't had much caffeine because I'm so tired that I couldn't remember to stop by the fridge in the teacher's loungue to pull out one of my diet pepsis. So I have no idea what I was trying to do, but apparently, I did a word search at the Perseus website for the Greek word which means "to read." Anyways, it's interesting, but I have no idea why I did this search earlier this morning. I'm sure it's the answer to some great mystery, but I don't know what the question is--like the number 42 in Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. By the way, I'm glad they made another movie of it, which will hopefully have better special effects, but there is just something about reading a book about a magical book that seems more appropo.
So back to the Greek word for reading, there doesn't seem to be just one simple one-syllable stem verb for reading on the list. I just pulled out Groton, which I don't know why I didn't do that before, and she's says that it is "anagignosco." Well, that makes sense, but it's not a simple stem. I like the idea that the Greeks had to make up a compound verb for "read." I mean, we think of them all the time as these geniuses who invented civilization for the first time, when really all they did was jabber on in a bunch of town meetings for a long time, and defeat the Persians. So they have a compound verb for reading--interesting. The Romans don't, we don't, I can't think of any language I've ever encountered that does. Obviously, it's because the alphabet had only been invented a hundred years before anyone in Athens became pretentious enough to be a "philosophos."
Gosh, I need to sleep. It's like being a teenager. My theory is that teenagers, because they need more sleep than the rest of us, and they don't get it, are constantly sleep deprived, therefore, putting a strain on their still developing brains to make good decisions.
schlaf gut.

1 helpful remarks:

Blogger Judith shared...

Well, sleep deprivation is sometimes akin to being on a controlled substance, I have been told. Both can bring great inspiration or a car wreck. Go figure.

8:45 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home