και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Wednesday, April 06, 2005

prope mortem

So I almost died last night. Obviously, I'm exaggerating. However, I was watching the American version of The Office on NBC for the first time last night. I missed the first few episodes due to spring break, etc...

Dwight (the Gareth character) is trying to justify why the employees do not need health care.
DWIGHT: I have complete mental control over my body...I can raise and lower my cholesterol level at will.
PAM: Why would you want to raise your cholesterol level?
(pause)
DWIGHT: So I could lower it.

When I heard that line, I was drinking Fresca, the soft drink of death, and started choking from hilarity. Fortunately, I was able to keep my reaction under control, and was able to move on with my life.
I didn't think that the NBC version could ever possibly recreate that ethos of the original, and as many of the critics point out, they didn't really try, rather, they made something unique and interesting. In fact, the weakest parts of the show are where it parallels the BBC version, if only for a been there, done that kind of feeling. I hope that it continues to be consistently funny. Having Ricky Gervais as executive producer and Steve Carell as the star definitely do not hurt. However, personally, I think the actor who plays Dwight Schrute, Rainn Wilson, is going to run away with this one. He probably has the best comic timing of the ensemble.

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home