και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Tullia and Roger


Tullia poked out her precious little head today for the first time. I was worried, because she and Roger had been hibernating since October. Yesterday, I was planting greens for them to eat, and I accidentally discovered Roger. He seemed to be okay, after he warmed up in the sun. However, there was no sign of Tullia. She came out today, and after a trip to the local gas station/bait shop, I provided both of them with tasty, juicy nightcrawlers. Tullia promptly devoured hers, like the little pig that she is. I'm so happy that both of them are back, in their nicely and neatly planted chelonian enclosure. I planted some greens that I bought from some hippies at the City Market. I added an extra basking rock as well, so they can each have their own. We'll see if they get into any hot turtle-on-turtle action, as they seemed to be so excited about when they first met each other. However, any relationship like that can never sustain that kind of passion, so I hope they'll settle for a simmering dissatisfaction that could last them the rest of their natural lives (some estimate the lifespan of a turtle like Tullia or Roger to be a century.) Sometime in the near future, I look forward to bringing them to school so Gina can incorporate them into a lesson on herptiles (the pretentious word for reptiles).
Posted by Hello

1 helpful remarks:

Blogger Judith shared...

Ah, the way of the world is a constant thing among all species. Your students should love the turtles.

10:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home