και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Monday, September 05, 2005

Catullus 101
The De Rerum Natura Translation Project

I retranslated the beginning of Lucretius' invocation to Venus for my "about me" segment, and then something hit upon me that may be a useful purpose for this blog. I have decided to include, on a somewhat regular basis, my attempts at artful translation of ancient Latin texts. If they seem somewhat inartful or contrived, please give me shit in my comments. I am attempting to invite constructive criticism from any and all quarters, especially you literary types out there (Phil, Andy, etc...)

Anyways, the reasons for doing this may be self-evident, however, I believe Catullus' poem #101 can speak volumes to my purposes here. I also want to point out that if one would like to try this for oneself, Perseus is my primary resource here.

Carmen Catulli CI


Brought through diverse nations and broad, calm waters
I arrive at this heartrending interment, brother,
So that I could give you death’s final gift
And hopelessly address your silent ashes,
Since chance fate carried your very self away from me.
God! It isn’t fair that you’ve been taken from me.
And now, moreover, these traditions of our parents,
The sad gift of ancient custom, are given for a funeral.
Accept them, soaked in your brother’s mourning,
And forever, brother, I will say farewell.

1 helpful remarks:

Blogger Andrew shared...

Matt,

I don't know Latin, so I can't address the accuracy of your translation; nor do I have any idea of the broader context of this verse, if there is one.

But artful? Yes, I would say so. The words you've chosen are themselves broad and calm, except for the wonderfully disruptive middle line, after which I imagine the speaker regaining his composure and his self-consciousness and completing his speech.

Keep up the translation--and the regular posting, of course.

4:08 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home