και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Friday, March 04, 2005

What I learned on my summer vacation

As I look forward to the next week with exams, I have given myself a prodigious workload. I have about four quizzes to grade, two exams to write, and a 3rd trimester work packet to put together. Of course, all these things somehow seem to get done, grades won't be due until the first weekend of second trimester, and I'll try and get my life together.
I read an interesting article on Slate about Mrs. Stewart of Living fame, and the lessons she took away from prison. It was an interesting article, and as one who was glad to see an incredibly rich person go to prison for the white-collar crime which costs our society so much, I found myself strangely unmoved by the author's wringing of hands about Mrs. Stewart's unteachability.
I am quite sure that going to prison has changed Martha's outlook on life. I don't know how, but the lessons she learned are her lessons. As a teacher, I have the privilege of teaching or not teaching what I want to my students. However, as a human being, I am only able to learn the lessons that others or the divinity choose to teach me. As a person of faith, I trust that the lessons we are given are sent to us in due course, and we either absorb them or ignore them.
That is why I am praying for these people to be struck by lightning, destroyed by hail and brimstone, get leprosy, or be swallowed by the earth. Check out their definition of "Love Thy Neighbor." That's totally what they would want me to wish for them, because they believe, that if someone is doing wrong, the loving thing to do is to erect a monument commemorating his descent into the infernal regions on the site of his death. Who needs enemies, when you have these kind of Christian brothers or sisters?

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home