και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Tuesday, March 01, 2005

"Western" Civilization

The Good:
Today, those who think that killing people that kill people is the way to keep people from killing people suffered a small setback. See my friends at NPR for the details.
The Bad:
Did you have to read 1984 in high school literature class. Well, I didn't, but I was a fan of mid-20th century distopian fiction, so I have no excuse for not finishing the book. Anyways, in it, I remember that there was the bad guy that they had to hate for about 15 minutes everyday, Emmanuel Goldstein. Well, apparently, he's in Iraq, and his name's Zarqawi.
The Ugly:
For everyone that says racism is dead and that there are no more crypto-racists any more, or that judges are tyrants with unchecked powers who don't care about justice, read this story.

3 helpful remarks:

Blogger nevsky42 shared...

If you like dystopian lit, may I suggest Evgeny Zamyatin's We?

6:09 PM

 
Blogger Sue London shared...

Comments on...
The Good: Excellent way to put it!
The Bad: I read 1984 because it was 1984. At the time it seemed like wonderful paranoid fantasy. I think I need to read it again to see how it strikes me now.
The Ugly: Who says racism is dead?

3:40 AM

 
Blogger lucretius shared...

"Who says racism is dead?"
Isn't that why this administration has suggested the end of affirmative action? Also, check out the book, The End of Racism, by Dinesh D'Souza.
By the way, the Trib requires a subscription for the link I posted, so try this link for the story about the federal judge in Chicago whose family was brutally murdered by white supremacists.

6:28 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home