και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Tuesday, January 24, 2006

mental floss

blogito ergo salveo. si hoc scire non potest, gratias deis age quod numquam magistrum ut me tenebas!

salvete, comblogitatores! nimium vodcae bibi ut sine ratione blogitem. salvete, homines. gratias deo ago quia pauci hoc legere possunt.

Anyways, I'm pumped up for my Cicero class tomorrow. The more of and about Cicero I read, the more I am convinced that human beings have not really gotten any smarter over the past few millenia--we've only become more precise. I'm looking forward to jumping into this rhetoric versus philosophy debate full stream. I mean seriously, what else is this about except for FOXNews?

But, on a lighter note, let's talk about the apocalypse. I've been sneaking bits of pieces of Collapse on weekends and at breakfast. Of course, Jared Diamond had me at the moment go. My brother tried to corrupt me with Victor Davis Hanson, but I know Brother Diamond speaks the truth, as much as a human being might do so.

As Stevie Jay once said, "All our fears boil down to fear of death." He then went on to make some smart-ass comment about dinner theater in Richmond, which was funny in the context of his show, but not so much if I were to repeat it here on this blog. Of course, this is a good point. What do social critics like to say, other than, "Why are we in this handbasket, and where are we going?"

I'm serious and, of course, not serious.

I mean how many times do you hear people talk about the "fall" of the Roman Empire. Gosh, I want to puke the next time someone talks about the Roman Empire "falling." However, the point is, we all see the apocalpyse hiding around the corner. Of course, if the apocalypse weren't hiding around the corner, it wouldn't be much of an apocalypse. (If you're not getting this joke, it's cause you don't know Greek, you lazy bastards. I mean all the Arabs know Arabic, and not just any Arabic either--Classical Arabic.)

Here's the thing. Janna and I saw Gypsy together when we were in Novo Eboraco. (That Bernadette Peters got pipes, by the by.) Anyways, of course, it's a show about a stripper who learns that the key to stripping is to leave 'em always wanting more. That's the key to a good apocalypse, too. That's why no one did the apocalypse better than Juh-EE-suhs. All that talk about "a thief in the night" and ten maidens--what an apocalypse-tease.

But isn't that the key to life, too? Always leave them wanting more. I mean, it's not healthy to peak too early. Of course, if I were to think about it too hard, I could come up with some lame reasons why that's the problem with the Republican party, Jerry Falwell, and American culture in general.

But, you've got to hand it to those conservatives. They take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Well, if you can't beat 'em, get a job at Wal-Mart.

0 helpful remarks:

Post a Comment

<< Home