και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Thursday, June 09, 2005

Odds and Ends

I spent the greater part of the last few days cleaning my room, so I'm in that totally fastidious state of mind that invites little reflection, but rather merely enumerates a seemingly random list of goals...well that, and sleeps a lot. Anyways, when I came home from the knitting party at Sorbo's house at the end of Tuesday I was a dollar down and hopped up on caffeine. (Sorbo is my favorite former Halliburtonian--quote, "Dick Cheney is too left wing.") So, I went to school from 1:00 to 5:00 ante meridiem and cleaned up my room. After a short nap, I came back at 8:00 in the a.m. to finish what I had started.
Now, you need to understand something, despite the fact that the Boys and Girls Club produced Denzel Washington, they also produced the effects of a small tornado on my classroom last summer. Since I am in enumeration mode, I will share.
  • graffiti on bulletin boards

  • posters torn off the walls in a heap

  • staples and markings on my personal books

  • general disarray


  • Due to their maltreatment of the facilities, I was told that they would not be coming back for the summer of '05. However, money talks and teachers' complaints walk. So anyways, to save myself the grief this summer I took down all my posters, covered my bookshelves with butcher paper, and put everything else on my rolling table and covered it with a sheet. We were promised that the administration of the Boys and Girls Club had changed, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I also got a new old desk because my old old one was broken, so I think I'll put some fun contact paper on it sometime this week.
    Anyways, I was able to check out at work yesterday, so I had absolutely no obligations at school today. Which allowed me to prepare for our upcoming trip à Montréal par auto.
    Also, I have added some more wonderful links. Brian Bork is a friend of Tom and Phil's. Apparently we both did a SERVE project in Toronto together, which was one of my favorite memories. Also, both Phil and Brian recommended the blog by Meg Jenista. She writes with a keen insight into the state of the modern church.
    These last two come by way of confession. Through a link on Joel's website, I have been heartily enjoying both Brett's and thence Sarah's blog. Brett lived in the same dorm with me at Calvin and Sarah was a friend of another Sarah with whom I performed Children's Theater on the Invention Team. Both of them are wonderful, but I particularly enjoy Sarah's insights into the process of growing up and change that all of us twentysomethings are going through.
    Have a heck of a summer. Paix.

    1 helpful remarks:

    Anonymous Anonymous shared...

    I can confirm that the Boy's and Girl's club is under new management. He met us all at yoga class (which meets in the B&G club building) because he wanted to see who was "in his house." He introduced himself as "Reverend" and with his imposing stature and comanding tone I believe every word he said about turning things around there. And really, it already is completely different - clean, orderly and focused. I'm still not going to park my bike outside of the building. I just really don't feel like being a victim of vandalism again.

    3:28 PM

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home