και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Thursday, July 14, 2005

What are you looking at?

So, Joel had a good post about overactive blogging with which I could readily identify. I of course, am taking the summer off, and have nothing better to do than read, write, and watch movies. (Well, I actually do, but that is besides the point.) So, my apologies if I blog too much, but I consider this to be my free therapy. All y'all have the privilege of seeing my interior world, and what a privilege it is! Anyways, I'm going to be attending the incomparable Aubrey and Paul's wedding in Chicago this weekend, so I think I'll use that as an opportunity to take a Sabbath from my blog.

In high school, I often asked myself this question--"In a society which has institutionalized rebellion, what would a true rebel look like?" My answer, of course, was a conformist. However, in this society, how would this conformist conform?
Well, I have since nuanced my answer to this question, and I believe I have found the perfect answer. Now, most of you know that I play at Christianity. I go to church; I even work at a Christian school; I attmpt to make profound pronouncements about the proper Christian attitude of the relationship between body and soul on this website. However, the movie Rize challenged my definition of what it means to be a Christian. The folks in this documentary have a visceral understanding of what the love of Jesus means. I may have the same faith that these folks have, but I am hard-pressed to see how it acts out in my life in such a profound way.
Now, before I ruin this movie by making it out to be a Christian (and therefore sacred and not secular) movie, let me make this clear, this movie has no ideological or theological agenda. It merely seeks to portray the new dance movement from Los Angeles which includes "Clownin'" and "Krumpin.'" The dance in this movie is the most compelling I have seen ever. This is a wild new form of hip-hop dance which tries to break away from the "gangsta" image that has defined the genre up to this point. This movie is ten times better than 8 Mile, which was a passably good introduction to the forgotten plight of the inner city. This is also a movie whose soundtrack is worth owning.

1 helpful remarks:

Blogger Judith shared...

You know, I was going to skip "Rize," but now as soo as I ship my mom back to NY I'm going to see it.
Is there really such a thing as a non-conformist anymore? Maybe the person who runs his/her own business out of the home or the teacher who tries to get his/her students to think for themselves. I'm not sure anymore.

9:20 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home