και συ, τεκνον; Аргументьі и Фактьі.
"But the liberal deviseth liberal things; and by liberal things shall he stand."
—Isaiah 32:8

Sunday, June 26, 2005

I'm full of it

Well, we had a great trip, and if you didn't get a postcard, holler at me, and I'll send you one from Charlottesville--a nice glossy of Sally Hemings and her five mulatto children or something of the like.
Okay, so the symptoms of depression hit anyone hard on the return from a vacation, so I'm not going to claim that I'm relapsing or anything, just that I still got a wee bit of the crazies--and I don't even have to go to work tomorrow. Pobrecita Juanita!
So, I bought a CD set of classic tales of "spine-tingling" horror from the Green Valley Book Fair for $6.50 to listen to in the car. I've already listened to several, but what I'm pretty sure was a cruel abridgment of Frankenstein got me thinking. Now, this is somewhat inside and somewhat outside the Calvinist Christian box, so take it as you will.
  • Sin or evil caused by humans is based primarily in selfishness, a desire to preserve one's own life over that of others.
  • Selfishness is part of the evil nature of the world and indestructible by purely human or wordly means.
  • Society demands selflessness in order to function (i.e. as Freud would say, we should not act on our id whenever possible).
  • Therefore the art of society is the delicate balance between allowing ourselves to indulge in our selfishness in ways that cause us to be selfless (i.e. competition for business, promotions, or prizes given to us by our fellow members of society).
    I may be doing a grave injustice to C.S. Lewis, but in Mere Christianity he mentions that pride or arrogance is the one sin that we most quickly identify in others, however, we often fail to recognize pride itself as a sin, preferring to rather put it on our bumper stickers and community welcome signs.
    There seems to be something else to be said here, but I just don't know what it is.

  • 0 helpful remarks:

    Post a Comment

    << Home